Sunday, February 07, 2010

First one out of the way...

I'd sure like to lie about today's race and spin a yarn of comeback and victory, but alas... the race was quite simply much faster than I was ready for. My legs didn't feel bad, but my lungs and cardiovascular system just were not prepared to go that fast. The race was loaded with some crazy good talent with Amgen/ Giant there with a full squad of current former national and world champions on their team. Needless to say, from the very first lap, it was blisteringly fast.

I looked so happy before the start...

The first two laps were fast, but I briefly had the thought, "there's no need to panic, I can do this". And then things got fast- really fast! I immediately began to lose my place in the group and slid further back each lap as I eventually found myself at the back and struggling to hold on.

Sitting on the start line thinking of my strategy; don't get dropped...


And we're off!

After about 5-6 laps, I called it a day as I lost contact with the back of the field on our way up the short rise to the start/ finish line. I was gassed- my lungs were burning and my heart rate was somewhere in the area of over-caffeinated hummingbird.

As I was reviewing my pre-race strategy ("don't get dropped"), I got dropped.

My wife was there to cheer me on, as well as a few friends, but I had to face the reality that my legs might not be as bad as I feared, but the rest of me certainly is. Though it was a major disappointment to do so badly, I am happy to have gotten the first real crit since my crash out of the way. I managed to not get hurt and I also managed to have fun. All in all, I'm happy with that as a starting point... and now I'm motivated to keep trying even harder to reach the next level of fitness.

Tim

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't call it a comeback you've been here for years... and years...




and years.