Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tagged again...

My blogging/ cycling buddy James Thomas at Bicycle Design tagged me in a new round of Q&A. So, for a momentary break from the craziness I have here, I'm gonna make my stab at answers...

If you could have any one — and only one — bike in the world, what would it be?

One is the loneliest number in the world! The obvious answer is a Masi, but given my role in the bike universe, it'd be a Masi made custom for me by the Tailor himself- Faliero Masi. Since I am tasked with keeping his legacy alive now, it would only be fitting for me to have a firsthand relationship with his genius and vision. One of these days, I'll finally find a vintage Masi that fits me and that I can afford... one day.

Do you already have that coveted dream bike? If so, is it everything you hoped it would be? If not, are you working toward getting it? If you’re not working toward getting it, why not?
I can't have it now because Faliero is no longer with us. I'd love to consider working with his son Alberto to have a custom frame done as well, but that probably isn't too likely to happen. I respect the man immensely, but there are folks who have gone to great lengths to cause a history of animosity between Masi USA and Alberto Masi. I have inherited this animosity and if I can accomplish one thing here before finally getting fired, it would be to reunite the two "families" of Masi. That would be my greatest personal accomplishment in this industry. Hopefully, others who wish to perpetuate the animosity will not continue to pursue that result... but I have my doubts...

If you had to choose one — and only one — bike route to do every day for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?
This is the one question I don't think I could ever answer. The route I took, growing up in Alabama, from my home down to Gulf Shores AL is one. The route I rode training in the farm country around my dad's old house in Northern AL is another. Many of the wonderful routes here, the rides in Montreal, the rides in Australia, the route in the MS150 in Texas. This question I fail.

What kind of sick person would force another person to ride one and only one bike ride to do for the rest of her / his life?
Apparently a real sicko. Somebody who probably would deprive his/ her own children of the joy of even ever riding a bike. A real sicko.

Do you ride both road and mountain bikes? If both, which do you prefer and why? If only one or the other, why are you so narrowminded?
I ride everything, but road and track are my "specialty". But I love my single-speed 29r with drop bars- it is one of my all time favorite rides.

Have you ever ridden a recumbent? If so, why? If not, describe the circumstances under which you would ride a recumbent.
I have only ever ridden one out of curiosity and when I worked in a shop and test rode one after a repair. It felt all wrong to me... but I can't ride a unicycle at all. So what do I know? I'd ride a recumbent if I was told I could never ride any other bike ever; I'd take riding a recumbent over never riding again.

Have you ever raced a triathlon? If so, have you also ever tried strangling yourself with dental floss?
I've done one triathlon in high school as a team relay and we won. I railed the bike section and our runner kicked ass. Our swimmer had never even tried to swim like that before and flailed bravely. It was a blast. I have a ton of respect for triathletes because I know I'll never be able to do one. My knees were bad before the accident in April, so I know they aren't going to suddenly be better. We sponsor pro triathlete Jenna Shoemaker and I'm extremely proud to be working with such an athlete. She got 7th at the Escape from Alcatraz, 4th in Athlone Ireland and just got 6th in the recent ITU World Cup in Poland. She's kick ass! Dental floss strangulation; why yes... hasn't everybody?

Suppose you were forced to either give up ice cream or bicycles for the rest of your life. Which would you give up, and why?
Ice cream would go away. It would make me a better rider anyway and would be just like when I thought I was going to be the next LeMond... I didn't eat ice cream for years. But don't even think of asking me to give up beef jerky.

What is a question you think this questionnaire should have asked, but has not? Also, answer it.
Q- Why is Tim Jackson such a visionary genius?
A- Because he really tries to understand the cyclist mind, as he is one still himself, his intimate knowledge of the bike and rider is what makes him such a genius. And I hear that the ladies really think he's incredibly good looking too. He's a modern day Leonardo DaVinci- he can do it all. I wish I was that smart...

You’re riding your bike in the wilderness (if you’re a roadie, you’re on a road, but otherwise the surroundings are quite wilderness-like) and you see a bear. The bear sees you. What do you do?
I'd keep an eye on Yogi and just keep a safe distance from him/ her. Live and let live, I say. I'd feel lucky to see a bear and would probably get eaten trying to get my camera out of my jersey pocket in time to get a picture... but that's how I roll.

There you go...

I'd tag some other folks, but I need to get back to work.

Tim

3 comments:

Illinoisfrank said...

I've seen this particular series of questions on several blogs now. Even though they are just about the dumbest questions one would ask anyone who is into cycling, you, Tim, handled them well.

James T said...

Sorry to put you through it Tim, but good answers. Just considering one bike and one route for life is pretty painful.

By the way, I only counted the word Masi 7 times in your answers. That is less than I expected.

Yokota Fritz said...

A SS 29er w/ drop bars -- wow, that was unexpected!

Interesting about what you'd like to do about the Alberto Masi situation -- I'd love to see that rectified also.