Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ever feel like you are here to serve as a warning to others?

Here's a little story for you to set a "back drop" to my arrival at Masi...

On September 11th of this year (what is with that date now?), while riding home from a friend's party on my bike in the wee hours of the morning, I was struck by a car in a hit and run accident (yes, I was using a headlight and tail light at the time). The driver of the car ran a red light while I was in the middle of the intersection, snapping the frame in half. As you can see from the picture, it was not a pretty sight. For those of you with an eye for gore, yes, that is my blood all over the frame. I was so very lucky that I was wearing a good helmet and that I was simply coasting through the intersection. Had I been going any faster I would have been directly in front of the car, rather than getting "clipped" and would have likely been killed. Since I am married and have two children, this little "blessing" is something I am thankful for each day.

Yes, I had been drinking. I had stopped drinking around midnight before climbing back onto my bike at 3:00 in the morning, thinking that I was more than sober enough to ride home. To this day, I believe I was sober enough, but my judgment to leave was still not the best decision and I really should have just stayed at my friend's house. My rationale for riding home: I didn't want my wife to worry when she woke up and I wasn't home. Instead, she woke up to find me bleeding like crazy from the huge cut in my chin and the multiple scrapes all over. I was fortunate enough to not break any bones and to not have any truly serious injuries. 7 stitches in the chin and several scars, but I am otherwise ok. My back still has lingering effects from the crash, but I am able to ride without pain- well, from the crash anyway.

The accident took place on a Sunday morning. I had my interview with Haro Bicycles, parent company of Masi, the following Friday afternoon and had a job offer later that day. I went to the interview completely covered in scabs, bandages and hardly able to talk from the injuries to my jaw and neck. Still, I suppose they figured that if I was willing to get back onto a bike after such an accident, I must be really dedicated and passionate (and just a little crazy). Both are important ingredients to having a job in the bike industry.

None of this is brought up to make light of the circumstances surrounding the incident. I really could have made some better choices, like drinking less and leaving earlier or just crashing on the couch instead of on my bike. I bring this up to point out how lucky I feel to be alive and have the job that I have. Haro looked past the scabs and bandages and saw somebody very passionate about bicycles and the sport. It is that passion that I hope will allow me to turn Masi Bicycles into a powerhouse premium road bike brand again. This is the challenge of a lifetime for me and I am very thankful to have been given this opportunity and will not squander it.

Don't drink and ride!

Tim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not wow po the only designer wow gold who feels this way.buy cheap wow gold Peter Molyneux actually wow gold kaufen considered making a game about making a game. cheap wow gold "The whole buy cheap wow gold process of coming up with cheap wow gold an idea, pitching it, getting a team together, making the prototype, convincing the team it's a good idea through to showing it to the press and wow gold seeing how many people post on your wow gold boards is so much like a game its uncanny," he told me.wow gold Kloonigames went one step further and actually made The wow gold kaufen Truth About Game Development..

Anonymous said...

I'm not wow po the only designer wow gold who feels this way.buy cheap wow gold Peter Molyneux actually wow gold kaufen considered making a game about making a game. cheap wow gold "The whole buy cheap wow gold process of coming up with cheap wow gold an idea, pitching it, getting a team together, making the prototype, convincing the team it's a good idea through to showing it to the press and wow gold seeing how many people post on your wow gold boards is so much like a game its uncanny," he told me.wow gold Kloonigames went one step further and actually made The wow gold kaufen Truth About Game Development..

Anonymous said...

I'm not wow po the only designer wow gold who feels this way.buy cheap wow gold Peter Molyneux actually wow gold kaufen considered making a game about making a game. cheap wow gold "The whole buy cheap wow gold process of coming up with cheap wow gold an idea, pitching it, getting a team together, making the prototype, convincing the team it's a good idea through to showing it to the press and wow gold seeing how many people post on your wow gold boards is so much like a game its uncanny," he told me.wow gold Kloonigames went one step further and actually made The wow gold kaufen Truth About Game Development..

Anonymous said...

Whatever had wow powerleveling opened the door wow level service stepped through the entryway, and I was assaulted by a smell so putrid my body tried to recoil in displeasure, but of course I couldn’t move.wow power leveling It smelled like a hundred cartloads of refuse and filth had wow power leveling been stuffed into my nostrils, and it only grew worse when the person who carried this horrid stench moved further into the tomb to stand over my body.cheap wow power leveling This act brought wow powerleveling it into my field of vision and if I could have cheap wow power leveling made noise I surely would have struck myself deaf, dumb, and blind from the shrillness of my scream.wow powerleveling That scream would have shattered glass wow powerleveling on the other side of the known world. I wasn’t afraid, I had discarded that foolish emotion many breaths ago, but the shock of seeing wow leveln it was so great, only wow level service a scream of that magnitude would have sufficed to greet the creature.