Sunday, May 25, 2008

WARNING; Graphic thumb photos

Well, below are some pretty graphic photos of my right thumb. As my orthopedic surgeon said- "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Dr. William Tontz Jr is the man behind reattaching (heck, "recreating") my thumb. He also said, as he was unwrapping the thumb, "everyday is like Christmas for an orthopedic surgeon." He was right on both comments; beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder and I did receive a gift when he unwrapped the thumb... a thumb I get to keep and use!



________________________________________________________



Yep... that's a steel pin sticking out of the end of my thumb! DO NOT TOUCH THE PIN!


You can barely see the two sets of stitches on the outside edges of my thumb, but there are several other stitches on the inside of my thumb as well.


See how the color of the thumb is consistent? That means there is blood flow through entire thumb. THANK GOD!


The existing nail is going to fall off. The nail bed looks healthy and should produce a new nail... though it may be another one of those beauty/ eye/ beholder things...


And there we are... a "thumbs up"... because I CAN!

Again, I really can not thank Dr. Tontz Jr enough for his amazing surgical work. He said after he unwrapped the thumb, that he really expected to be unwrapping a "dead thumb"... so we were both very happy with his work. I have zero memory of what my thumb looked like before the surgery, but I am told that it was as if the end of my thumb had been removed like a sheath/ sock and turned inside out... and then the bone got severed off and shoved up through the space between the two halves of my thumb nail. So yeah, Tontz did a phenomenal job of recreating my thumb. And, keep in mind- I was even wearing a pair of full finger gloves when I crashed... so, yeah... wow...

So there's the thumb pictures. Now you can be as grossed out as me. Aren't you glad I shared?

Tim

15 comments:

Gavin Heaton said...

Wow does that sound painful! Glad to hear you are home with full digital control ;)

Anonymous said...

Tee, hee. Gotta love trackies! But seriously, great to know you're back home.

Anonymous said...

Wow. As gross as it is, it does look healthy and happy to be attached.

Glad to see that you are back home.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome news, Tim.

Good to see your eye's getting closer to looking normal again too, I have to say your redeye was freaking me the hell out!

Cheers
Matt

Donna T. said...

Glad the news is so good with the thumb!! Ironically, I got more grossed out by the description of what happened than the actual photos. But neither was particularly pretty. When does the wire-thinggie come out/off?

blackmountaincycles said...

Ah that ain't so bad - and I'm sitting here eating some breakfast - mmmmm bacon and eggs.

The pin looks like an angler fish. Keep your thumb out of the fish tank.

You and Matt V of FSA will have thumb stories to share now.

T.C. said...

I don't mean to be dark-humoured about it but hilarious.

Reminds me of Mr.Hanky's kid who had a corn lodged in his head.

Any...way, Tim where can I get my hands on a Masi dealer in Eastern Canada?

Anonymous said...

Tim,
"CAUTION: Do NOT use this digit for personal hygiene use!" :-)
Gives you a valid reason for 'fat finger' typing errors!

Anonymous said...

Glad the news is good all around for you Tim.

Keep creating,
Mike

bikesgonewild said...

...hey, thumbs up, dude !!!...

...that is to say, glad yer keepin' all yer parts & that everything is healing...

Anonymous said...

yowzers, Tim!

you are one courageous fella.

healing vibes to your thumb and all other body parts that need it, too.

like varley said, you def. need to share severed thumb stories with matt V of FSA...

glad to hear you are on the mend...
stobin

spokejunky said...

It looks like a big Angler Fish . Your get well present . Just dragging a file over that gives me the shivers.

Anonymous said...

Thumb doesn't look as bad as described. Been following your progress on the blog - heal quick.

Riding to work the other day, noticed some guy on a new Masi singlespeed commuter - looked great. Dude said he liked it.

Rest up.

Dan O

Unknown said...

Tim.. i heard what happen, gezzz u are luck to be alive. let me know if you need any help on anything?

Curtis
www.missingsaddle.com

gianandrea said...

Is Quentin Tarantino in the medical staff?