Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hurts so good... part two...

A few weeks ago I went to a tattoo and body art expo that was going on locally. Walking through the door of the building I thought I was going to die from the sound of the tattoo guns doing their jobs on a couple hundred people who were getting fresh ink. The sound of the guns had me jumping and twitching... I really wanted another tattoo... bad. I walked around the exhibit with my buddy and former Haro co-worker, Larry, and the Masidaughter (who loved it). Eventually Masiwife showed up as well... to keep me from spending every dime we had on more ink. I tried to find somebody to just throw some color, anything, on me... but I just didn't connect with anybody and didn't get the right feeling about anybody. I mean, I have emotional attachments to my tattoos, not just physical, so the person doing the ink is as important as the artwork to me.

So I walked away without any new ink.

This...

(Yes, that's my car in the middle of the chainring.)

... became this...


... became this...


... and ultimately this;
The crossbones in the middle of the chainring was just too overshawowed in size by the new tattoo on the left calf. I got the crossbones about 13 years ago, so it needs some touch up and the chainring helps with that (though I still plan to have it completely recolored and cleaned up).

Track cycling is my thing. I love it. I love racing at the track. It is where I am as close to reaching my Zen-like state as I ever get on a bike. I love it- the simplicity of the bike itself, the smoothness of the racing, the ebb and flow, the back and forth, even the "bumping" in the Keirin... I love it. So the track chainring joins the other things that I have on me that are a part of who I am and what makes me the person I am. I'm pretty happy with it...

My man Soda Pop did the honors again.

I hope I don't ruin any reputation he might have by saying that he's a genuinely nice guy and does some great work. He's very easy to work with and is definitely talented. I mean, he took the chainring that I carried in to the studio (you can see it on the left) and then turned it into a great tattoo. So, once again, if you are anywhere near San Diego and getting a tattoo, you have to go to Above All Tattoo and see Soda Pop, or at least somebody there because they all kick ass. So far, two tattoos from Soda Pop and Above All Tattoo and I am very happy. I can't wait for this new one to heal and clear up so that the faint coloring shows up- it's got great shading with blue and white highlights to help it look like the actual chainring I carried in to him.


Since I can, here is the SockGuy sock dujour;

Green Camo with ultimate-style Adidas Chaparral high tops... dang that's cool!

And a little contest; the first person to post here with the correct size chainring on my calf and the manufacturer and model wins a pair of Masi socks (you pick the color)! You track goobers should know this one in your sleep! (That means you Soup-or-Wookie...)

Tim

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the man. I can't believe you did it again...but I love the story. And Soda Pop rocks.

Bless your wife, she is so supportive. Sorry I can't be part of the contest, I know nothing of what you speak on the bike front.

Enjoy and thanks for another great post. The tat looks awesome (and a bit painful).

blue squirrel said...

it is a SUGINO track chainring in size 52

blue squirrel said...

SUGINO Mighty Comp. 52

Tim Jackson said...

Blue Squirrel wins! Which is weird since he's only ever seen a track a track bike. How he knows what the ring is baffles me...

And since he's my best friend, I guess I have to have a second contest that he isn't eligible for. Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

Nice!

And, I leave you to be the tattoo'ed blogger. I get the feeling if I got one, I'd go down some slippery slope until I had some shitty Mike Tyson face tattoo. It's a little frightening. :)

Congrats, and enjoy the new ink!

Anonymous said...

Paul: If I'm getting one...you're getting one. And I'm getting one.

Tim: You've been blogged at: http://www.ck-blog.com/cks_blog/2006/12/sucker_for_a_se.html

Can I have my sox now even tho' I know sh*t about the biker thingie your tat is based upon.

gianandrea said...

tim, you crazy guy. that' s great tattoo. well i have to admit i have a tattoo on my back between shoulders.
words from rolling stones' sympathy for the devil!!! but i save you from the picture (at least for now).

blue squirrel said...

strike one up for the roadie, now let me get this straight, you have one gear and go around an oval and have sponsers like skoal and tide?

and yes, i felt bad about snaching the prize away from from those less 'sock guy' fortunate than i. the next contest should be what cranks i train on. and i will throw in a team t-shirt [currently in production]

blue squirrel said...

strike one up for the roadie, now let me get this straight, you have one gear and go around an oval and have sponsers like skoal and tide?

and yes, i felt bad about snaching the prize away from from those less 'sock guy' fortunate than i. the next contest should be what cranks i train on. and i will throw in a team t-shirt [currently in production]

Queen of Couth said...

TTP - I love what a nerd you are - in fact, you're my favorite nerd right now. I was going to call the 52 chainring, but Blue Squirrel beat me to it. . . I couldn't get on your blog last night. Sorry. I had a lot of more smartass things to say then.
Peace Out
bk

T-Guy J said...

Owwwww Needles....OWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Oh sorry, I was just thinking about getting some ink...

The thought is over, it just hurt way too much.

James T said...

Hey Tim, looks good. One question though; 52? That takes WAY too much effort to turn around (of course you probably have a 17t rear cog to make it nice and easy). I have a 48 on the track bike, but I wouldn't want to tattoo that ring on my calf. It's OK to be a wimp, but you don't want to call attention to it.

:) said...

Sweet Tat...I like it alot. Soda did a great job on it (of course)...

I want some socks... :(