Monday, February 18, 2008

Her maiden voyage...

Today, the Masidaughter was feeling much better. Her fever has been gone since about Saturday afternoon and all that time confined to being indoors with Daddy was too much for her (and Daddy), so we headed out the door and got her a new helmet and gloves from my good friends at Adams Avenue. Once home, I finally got Kate's new Adams Trail-A-Bike built and ready to ride! My good friends (and distributor of Masi in Canada) at Norco helped me acquire the new bike for my li'l punkin'.

She was happy!

And so was Daddy.

She liked going fast once she got used to the feeling of riding without training wheels... though some might state that I should still have training wheels... but those people should hush...

We rode around the neighborhood for just about an hour to help her get used to the feeling of riding with me. It is my hope that this will serve as an introduction to the sense of balance of riding on two (three, actually) wheels. Then she'll have an easier time riding her own bike without training wheels and she'll have the added benefit of having the understanding of riding among cars and won't have that as a fear... I hope.

Regardless, it was fun and it made my heart beat a little faster... and not just from the added workout of lugging her weight and the trail-a-bike weight around. My son had one when he was much younger too, so it was trip down happy memory lane.

Ride on!

Tim

10 comments:

gianandrea said...

ready for the tour de france......
great pictures and a big hug to you.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Masidaughter has recovered, Tim.

Training wheels? Ditch 'em, use the scoot-weeeeeee-balance method...

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=202

Donna T. said...

OMG! That's such a great, heartwarming post. I'm so glad Katie is feeling better - look at that grin on her face. I think a new cyclist is born! Watch out..it won't be long before she's looking behind her going "C'mon Dad, can't YOU keep up?" :)

Anonymous said...

Now you just need a picture of HER socks, and her indoctrination will be complete. ;)

Anonymous said...

very cute

Kk said...

Congratulations Tim! Katie looks very happy indeed.

Yokota Fritz said...

Glad that little Katie is better. My son was sick 2 weeks ago and this last week has been my wife's turn.

My daughter loves her trailer bike.

James T said...

I know you both are enjoying that trail-a-bike. I absolutely love riding with my daughter pedaling behind (and now my youngest son as well). It is a good workout riding with the extra weight and I always have that voice behind me screaming "faster, faster". Yep, nothing beats riding together. I'll be sad when my kid's outgrow that thing, so I cherish those rides while I can.

Gavin Heaton said...

I am looking forward to teaching my gals to ride! She looks like she is having a some great Daddy-time!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. My two kids, ages 4 and 8 are just getting over colds - so know the story.

Riding with your kids is the greatest thing ever.

My 8 year old son scored a Specialized Hotrock for Christmas - 24" wheels, decent suspension fork, fairly light. He's cleaning hills in the woods he couldn't do on his previous 20" mini-mountain bike. He's doing 10+ mile woods rides and digging it all. I actually get weepy following him through the single track.

Last Saturday, did a 20 mile road ride with him on a local bike path. I don't push him in anyway, he asks me to ride all the time. Fun stuff.

My 4 year old daughter is on training wheels and riding a bit. I also drag her around in the Burley trailer - even in the woods. She laughs the whole time.

Riding with your kids rocks....