Monday, January 18, 2010

If you can- help Haiti

I was going to write about my lunch ride in the rain today- it was cold, wet, windy and lots of fun- but as I was thinking about how spoiled I am to have a "rain bike" that is better than a lot of other people's race bikes, I was suddenly struck again by the tragedy in Haiti. I found it hard to find the words to celebrate how fortunate I am, when the images of the destruction and loss in Haiti are so powerful.

The economy in the US is still limping along, but we're seeing nothing like what Haiti has gone through already for decades. Before last week's 7.0 earthquake, Haiti was already one of the poorest nations in the world- right at our doorstep. Since the earthquake, the suffering of the people of Haiti has been unbelievable and unimaginable. Estimates of the death toll are now eclipsing 100,000 and there are many areas still to be investigated. It is no exaggeration to call this the worst disaster in this part of the hemisphere in many, many decades. Needless to say, the people of Haiti really need our help.

If you're like me, it isn't like you're swimming in money- lord knows my bills come and go with plenty of "juggling". Still, I'd venture to suggest if you are reading this, then you likely have a few dollars- even just $5-10- that you could spare without feeling the burn for too long. The fact is, every single penny helps right now. Haiti needs our help and I hope that we'll all find a way to give what we can.

Here are a few links to help you help Haiti;
American Red Cross
Google Haiti Crisis Response page (lots of good information)
Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund

Thank you,

Tim

No comments: