Thursday, February 18, 2010

I fear for the future...

The future scares me sometimes... and currently because I am responsible for helping to shape it!

Last night, for the 3rd year in a row, I spoke at my friend Becky Carroll's New Media class at UCSD. This year's class is the largest one she's had to date- with 34 students learning about New Media/ Social Media. Whether she's told the class or not- teachers sometimes don't (wink)- she also says this is the best class she's had to date...

Once again, Becky had me in the class to speak about the experiences I've had with resurrecting Masi via Social Media. I shared my passion for SM (and Masi) with the class and then we had an excellent Q&A period. In the excitement of it all, I forgot to snap any pictures; I had planned to snap a few during my presentation and post them to Twitter while in the class... but my arms were flailing too much (and my gums were flapping).

The class was great- just as Becky told me- and the Q&A time was a blast for me. Those who know me know that I am nearly as passionate about SM as I am bicycles and Masi, so getting into a great conversation about SM was really a blast. Previous years were really a lot of fun too, so I can't really say this class is any "better" than the previous two years- but there was a lot of engagement and the discussion period probably could have gone on for another hour... well, I could have gone on for another hour on my own.

So, if you're among the students from the class- thank you again for letting me come speak to you and share my humble bike nerd experiences with you. And Becky- I am forever indebted to you for the continued experience of being a part of this great class you are so lucky to get to teach (and they are lucky to get to be in).

Tim

1 comment:

Becky Carroll said...

Tim, you are always an inspiration for my students, and for that I thank you! It is an honor to have you speak for us, and I hope to be able to keep inviting you back for as long as they let me keep teaching the class. ;)

You rock!!