Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Bits and pieces...

My computer is driving me insane again; my Outlook program is pooping out again. It died a painful death a few months ago when the hard drive on my laptop went "pifft". Our Tech Guru, George, was able to salvage my email when he installed the new hard drive... but he said it could still have "some issues". Yep.

So now I have to use my webmail again, which means I have no access to all the old emails on my laptop and it also means I currently have no access to the 100+ unanswered emails I have since before Vegas. Needless to say, to all those folks who sent me an email before noon today and didn't get an answer, well you have an answer as to why now.

Since getting back from Vegas, I've had a bit of a stomach problem. It's been getting better slowly, but it is still lingering around. After all the travel of the past few months, I've had a very hard time finding anything that even remotely resembles "fitness". I can barely muster enough strength to get out of my own way right now. Essentially; I suck. That was painfully evident at the Hangover Ride on the second day of demo in Vegas. I was able to stay with the "fast guys" until we hit the rolling hills and then I popped dramatically. Let me tell you- I haven't gotten any stronger since then. My overly competitive nature continues to get the best of me and I have a very hard time just riding to regain some of the lost fitness- ease my way back into shape. Today was a beautiful day, though still too damned windy (there is almost always a 20mph headwind anywhere you go near our office). I went out for one of my usual hour-long lunch rides and it was warm enough to ride with simply a base layer and no arm warmers. However, my legs were just dead. The past two days I was actually feeling like some strength was coming back and then the bottom fell out of them today. The last few miles I just sort of limped in to the office, though I made a valiant effort up the last steep hill to the office. I'd feel better about the dead legs if I was doing a lot of weightlifting, but I don't think I've been to the gym since August! I have got to get back to the gym so I can start lifting and putting the bulk back on for the track next year. My knees were the issue for a while, but they seem to be ok now, so I need to start working on squats, leg presses, extensions and curls again. I want the legs I had in '96 again- the ones my friends still refer to as the "freakish legs".

Word of caution; if our Creative Director, Pete Demos, ever asks you if you want to go ride the trails or a skatepark, run for your life! Pete has broken two employees just this week; broken hand and multiple facial wounds. Consider yourself warned...

Tim
(I'll return to more bike-filled fun soon.)

2 comments:

blue squirrel said...

should we call it the interbike'aire disease or the interbike bug or 'the sands revenge' or simply 'this stomach thang sucks', right there with you buddy, but i must admit that my legs felt a bit fresh today with good sensations, i was very pleasantly surprised.

Donna Tocci said...

Yes, there was something goin' on in Vegas. I came home with a terrible sinus cold for about 3 days. Luckily, the stomach gremlin avoided me. Hope you both are feeling better soon.