Friday, January 30, 2009

I still like him, maybe...

Over the years, I've had a lot of different jobs and I've worked with many different people. I haven't loved every job, nor have I liked every person- there are extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

For the past 4+ years that I have been the Brand Manager for Masi, I have had the great pleasure of working with a young man by the name of Dave Law. Dave is also the one who drew the artwork for the tattoo on my left calf. Dave, although funny smelling and unable to tie his own shoes (he has those "special shoes" with Velcro straps), has been a member of our Inside Sales for nearly 5 years- most recently as Sales Supervisor. Dave, as well as being a damned good sales person, despite his inability to remember his own name and poor math skills, is also a gifted and talented artist and musician. One of my favorite Interbike-related memories of the past few years was one of my first with the company when Dave and I sat in a bar at our hotel and talked about music for hours. We had a few beers and talked music- one of my favorite topics- and just had a good time getting to know each other a little better.


He's come a long way.

Over the past few years, Dave and I have shared a lot of our music and have argued often over who has the better musical taste (which is obviously me). We've talked about bikes. We've talked about marketing. And I have enjoyed getting to know him better and getting the chance to call him a friend.

Sadly, today was Dave's last day working with us, as he and his too-good-for-him wife are moving back to the San Francisco area to be near their families as they look at starting their own family. All of us who have worked with Dave are sad to see him leave, but we really do wish him and his wife the very best. I'm hoping he'll eventually learn how to spell and will have the Crayon removed from his nose too.

If you're looking for a great new employee in the Bay Area, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll get you in touch with Dave and provide a letter of recommendation- especially if you're in the bike industry. If we can keep Dave in the bike industry, then I can selfishly look forward to seeing him at least once a year at Interbike.

Dave- you will be missed, my friend. I sincerely with you the very best and hope that life unfolds happily in front of you.

Tim

2 comments:

germaine said...

that had a much happier ending than I expected... sorry for your loss tim!! ;) ;p

Anonymous said...

You're sentiments echo throughout the hallowed halls of Haro/Masi World Domination HQ TJ.

Godspeed Dave.
B