Monday, January 12, 2009

It's official...

Saw my doc' this morning; my cholesterol is terrible and I have no choice but to significantly alter my diet, continue to exercise (or in my case, stay on the bike) and take a little statin drug called Prevachol. As of this evening, with my first dose, I am now one of the millions of people taking anti-cholesterol statin drugs.

My family history is thick with all kinds of heart problems ranging from high blood pressure to high cholesterol to heart attacks. Given that history and the fact that my first high cholesterol reading came nearly six years ago, my doctor and I agreed that there was little reason to put off the inevitable- so I am on statins now. I am going to be improving my diet and getting back on the bike as much as my schedule will allow... and now I have doctor's orders to exercise!

The terrible crash I had at the end of April nearly killed me... but it didn't. I don't plan to let high cholesterol kill me either. Ultimately, I have too much I want to live for. Life is tenuous at best and I got a lot closer to understanding that fact than I would like to ever get again.

So now my desire to return to riding full-time and losing weight takes on a whole new level of importance for me. I'll certainly have breaks in the riding again and again, especially with all the travel I normally have to do, but I am hoping I can keep my commitment to myself to stay healthy and stay alive.

We'll see what happens...

Tim

15 comments:

libertyonbikes! said...

dude, you're probably about the same build as me.... and you did some cool stuff for elden @ fatcyclist...... and I know he's been writing about dropping weight.....well, i set my kids wii up and the wii fit said i'm borderline obese (it lies) and i'm 53 in my reflex age (lame).....

point is we could get something going to 'encourage' some weight dropping..... i mentioned elden should do public weigh ins at the livestrong rides (for those competing in dropping weight)...
just sayin - i gotta put away the chips & dip.

Kk said...

translation: More sushi and cycling for you!

likeheardingchickens said...

What do US Doctors call a 'High' result? Mine hasn't changed in years, but on my last test the (UK) doc said that at 4.6 it's high and I should keep off fatty foods...

Yeah, right! ;-)

Aaron Edge said...

Glad yer back on the bike, and finally I got my new one. And here she is: http://www.odeum.org/2009MasiColtellobyDavidChoe

pelotonjim said...

Masiguy,

If anyone can do it, you can. Libertyonbikes is right, post your workouts and let the transparency motivate you that little extra. You would be surprised about having to tell the world will motivate you. Add in a little competition....

Anonymous said...

telling your friends about your cycling goals is a good thing, as they will hold you accountable. i took a few weeks off due to the snow and now it feels good to be back on the indoor spin bike and do yoga twice a week. best of luck getting in the best shape of your life.

eric

Yokota Fritz said...

My cholesterol is borderline and I really need to watch what I eat or it shoots waaay up into the red heart-attack-this-afternoon zone.

Take care! I want to see Masiguy for years and years to come.

Tim Jackson said...

Thank you all for the support- sincerely. I am truly lucky to have so many friends in this world.

The idea of creating a bit of a support network and fitness "challenge" is sounding better all the time...

.. so stay tuned.

getinlost said...

Hey! Welcome to the club! I also have been told that my cholesterol is too high. I however was happier not knowing. So I stopped seeing the doc and taking the meds. Perhaps it's time to get back on the "wagon".

pelotonjim said...

Be careful what you ask for Tim, you may get it. As for me, I'm not worried about my cholesterol, I'm worried about my liver!

Joe Marinelli said...

If your dedication to your work is as high as your dedication to yourself, you'll have no problem putting the time and effort into getting back on track and meeting your goals. Best wishes for you Tim.

Donna Tocci said...

Sitting here eating a little salad w/olive oil and vinegar dressing...what are you having for lunch Masiguy? Be healthy and well, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Friend of mine got the same info after he was hit by a truck. After the two brain surgeries to put is skull back together they found the same thing. Since he was an active cat like yourself and fairly veggie heavy in his diet, I wonder if this is a type of reaction from the body as a means of protection. So much about these sacks we inhabit we know so little about. I highly recommend speaking to a dietician. There might be something you can change in your diet that will help. Also, and this gets a little hippy-dippy if not quack medicine, check out a book titled Diets for Blood Types. While I'm not convinced it will knock the pounds off, some of the data and reference points are rather intriguing.

blue squirrel said...

no more BBQ, bama boy
[time to take the oatmeal challenge]

Anonymous said...

Methinks it's those sticks of butter you keep in your jersey pockets for snacking on during rong rides.

Just a guess.

--kenda Matt