Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Today is Thanksgiving here in the US, which means it is time for the cliched and time honored ritual of making lists or emotional statements of all the things we are thankful for- or at least should be.

Why fight against tradition...

Like I am every day, I am thankful for my wife and daughter and their good health. Both of them enrich me more than I can express. I won't wax too poetic here- this time- but I would be nothing without the two women in my life.

I am thankful for the relationship I have with my ex-wife as well- she is a great mother and a valuable partner in raising our daughter.

I am thankful for the health of those around me who I cherish and love so much. Our health is such a blessing and is easy to ignore until it's pushed back in our faces.

I am thankful for my own health again! I get a little frustrated and cranky lately because I have ridden so little the past 3 months due to work, travel, silly injuries and sickness... but to do so is a gift. I was staggeringly close to death just a little over a year and a half ago and today I am well enough to complain about not having the time to ride as often as I would like. When I was lying in a hospital bed, unable to move well and wearing a cervical collar for my broken neck, I swore I'd never take my health for granted again- I think that's part of why I get so frustrated when I can't ride... it feels like breaking a promise.

I am thankful to have a job that I am very passionate about and really love doing. Sure, like all jobs everywhere, there are days when I roll out of bed grudgingly because I'd rather sleep or because the weather is just far too beautiful to be inside staring at a computer. BUT... my entire reason to go to the office is to work on creating ways to help others enjoy the simple joys of riding a bike. In the end, I have nothing to complain about. I design bicycles- not guns. Hallelujah.

I am thankful that I have made so many friends over the past few years via the connections that have occurred due to the simple act of communicating through this silly thing we call the Internet. I have so many friends across the globe- most of whom I've never met and might never meet, yet they are no less real as friends than any other friend I have here in San Diego. Sincerely- I am thankful for having "met" each and every one of you over the nearly 5 years I have been writing this blog. You guys/ gals are the gravy on my potatoes today and always.

I am thankful to have the family I do. Like all families, mine is not perfect, but I am thankful that my family is mine. I have seen other families up close and seen how bad tings can be- I am blessed to have the nurturing and supportive family that I do. They have watched my life take all the twists and turns of a GP race course, they have helped me when in need- or in the hospital, and they have laughed and cried with me along the way. I don't tell them often enough, like most people, but I love them all very deeply.

Now, in just a few minutes, I'm gonna be thankful that the seams on my bib shorts and jersey are strong enough to contain my doughy ass as I go for a nice little ride so that I can have a tiny smidge of an excuse to eat several pounds of turkey, potatoes, stuffing and a few gallons of gravy.

Enjoy your day of thanks as well- no matter how you do it or when.

Tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say keep up the good work. Your blog is always a welcome read and informative, funny and most of all passionate.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say keep up the good work. Your blog 's always been a good read.. informative, funny and passionate. Cheers